Thursday, December 4, 2014

Blog-Slacking, Virtual Birthday, An Old Man, Corner Gas, and Christmas Lights: 7 Quick Takes - Vol. 18


Wow, I haven't participated in 7 Quick Takes in longer than I like to admit.  Actually, I haven't even blogged in a couple of months.  Geez, what a slacker!  Oh well, better late than never, I guess.  Plus, after this long, I'm bound to actually have 7 things to write about, right?

It's birthday time around these parts.  










Not mine though, so no presents for me.  :(

However, I get to give other people presents, so that's awesome!  I like making people feel special on their birthdays.
My sister's birthday was last week, and she got some super special, home-made-by-me cookies.  Baking is definitely not my thing (it's far to fussy with all those "exact measurements"), so this was definitely a labor of love.  I made dark-chocolate chip and marshmallow cookies, which I (very un-originally) called S'mores cookies.  Man, were they good!  Especially the gooeyness of the marshmallows right after they came out of the oven.  Yum!

I used this recipe, which I randomly found on the internet.  I love you, Google!


My husband's birthday is today.  (Yay, happy birthday, James!)  We've got all sorts of fun planned for the old man's birthday weekend.  In fact, there's so much fun planned, we don't actually have time to do all of it.  Which means we'll be birthday-ing into next week.  Poor guy, having to celebrate for a WHOLE WEEK!  What a bummer.

The birthday old man boy

My mother in law's birthday is coming up in January.  We're trying to raise funds to get her some new flooring in her house, because, I kid-you-not, 35 YEAR OLD CARPET!!  It was not, to put it mildly, in the best condition.  It's also not a minor project.  So, we're holding a virtual, online birthday party for her and asking folks to consider donating to her birthday present.  Everyone who participates gets to pick out a party favor of their very own (we have a huge list to pick from).  If you feel so inclined and have a few dollars to spare, go take a look at the birthday party at this link.  Muchas gracias!

Ok, not birthday related.  Have you ever seen the Canadian TV show "Corner Gas"?  If you haven't, get thee to Youtube and watch an episode or 10, because they are full of much hilarity.  Unfortunately, the show ended in 2010.  Fortunately, we have the boxed set on DVD.  Super fortunately, they've made Corner Gas: The Movie!  So, SO excited!  I can't wait to see it.  Of course, I would have to fly to Canada to see it in theatres, and that ain't happening, lemmetellya.  But the DVD can't get here too soon.

And finally, one of my favorite Christmas-time videos EVAH!!  Trans-Siberian Orchestra, FTW!  Happy Advent, y'all.


For more Quick Takes, visit This Ain't The Lyceum!

3 comments:

  1. The exact measurements demanded by baking do me in. I'm cool with throwing some junk from the fridge in a pot and making it taste good, but give me a recipe book and expect me to follow the directions? Nope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Casey, Check your email for a message I sent you a couple days ago....but go ahead and check out this link HERE too - because you are our Adopt-a-Blogger this month. Congratulations! Lots of prayer coming your way this month!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog thru the adopt a blogger link. I will be praying for you guys this month. Here's to a happy March! And... my husband and I love Corner Gas and have the DVD set too! Watching an episode is such a great stress reliever! It got us thru many a rough day when life seemed too heavy.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say. Charitable, civil comments only, please!

Also, I am temporarily disabling anonymous commenting, due to a sudden flood of spambot comments on my site. Thanks for understanding!