Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Spiritual Infancy - 7 Posts in 7 Days: Day 2

I'm participating in the 7 Posts in 7 Days link-up at Conversion Diary, and this is my post for Day 2.  Go here to read the posts from the other bloggers in the link-up.  And go here to find a list of all 7 of my posts for this round of the link-up.
The most adorable-est of nephew ever!

Last week, my parish had it's annual parish mission.  For those that don't know what a parish mission is, usually it involves a guest priest/speaker coming to the parish and giving a series of talks over several days on some topics that are intended to be spiritually renewing for the parishioners.

Anyway, this year our guest speaker was Fr. Brian Mullady, OP, and he gave a really great series of talks on the stages of the interior spiritual life.  He referenced St. Teresa of Avila's The Interior Castle quite a lot, and fortunately, he made it a lot easier to understand than I have found it to be on my own, thus far!

Basically, there are three "levels" of the interior life, the Purgative Way (Spiritual Infancy), the Illuminative Way (Spiritual Teenager-hood), and the Unitive Way (Spiritual Maturity).


Unfortunately, I'm still very much a baby.  Most likely a crying, fussy baby.  Or a toddler, who's absolutely insistent on doing things my own way, and "my own self".  And we all know how ridiculous, and sometimes disastrous, it can be when a toddler does things her own way!

So, I'm working on growing in spiritual maturity by concentrating on growing my relationship with the Lord.  I've got just enough sense to realize that I cannot, in fact, do it on my own.  But right now, my relationship with Him is so shallow on my end that I can't really hear Him or understand His will for my life.  So hopefully, focusing on prayer with God will open me up to letting my Father take care of my, convert my heart and my life, and give me the graces I need to grow up!

What have you found helpful to your quest to grow spiritually?

2 comments:

  1. I've been reading The Interior Castle off and on, and I think I'm somewhere in the basement hanging out with the bats. As soon as she starts talking about the different rooms it's like a different language. Lots of wisdom in it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lot of wisdom, but sometimes the language is so hard to understand (at least in the version I have). And I'm probably right there with you in the basement. I keep wandering in the the first mansion, and then wandering right back out!

      Delete

I would love to hear what you have to say. Charitable, civil comments only, please!

Also, I am temporarily disabling anonymous commenting, due to a sudden flood of spambot comments on my site. Thanks for understanding!