Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Five Favorite De-Stressors - 7 Posts in 7 Days: Day 3

I'm participating in the 7 Posts in 7 Days link-up at Conversion Diary, and this is my post for Day 3.  Go here to read the posts from the other bloggers in the link-up.  And go here to find a list of all 7 of my posts for this round of the link-up.

And because I'm lazy efficient, it's a dual link-up kind of day, because this is also my Five Favorites post.  Check out the others at Moxie Wife.


I get anxious and stressed.  A lot.  A whole, whole, whole lot.  I've had to find little tricks to help reduce my stress levels, so I don't go all panic-attacky.  So today, I'm sharing my five favorite ways to reduce anxiety and de-stress!

1.
Reading A Favorite Book
These beauties are definitely not just for show.
Probably the number one thing I due to reduce anxiety is to distract my brain with a good book.  Personally, I've found the best things to read when anxious are not new books.  It requires too much concentration and focus when you don't already know the story, and focusing is way too hard to do when I'm really rockin' the anxiety.  Instead, I grab a tried and true favorite, and it's like sitting down with an old friend who's keeping me company until I get myself calmed down and back in order again.

2.
Drink Something Relaxing

File:Cup of tea isolated on white background - Petr Kratochvil.jpg
Source
There's nothing quite like a nice hot cup of tea to soothe jangled nerves.  My personal favorite is a fragrant cup of Earl Grey, but I'd also settle for a mug of exotically spicy Chai tea.  What's your favorite relaxing beverage:  tea, coffee, soda, water, wine, etc?

3.
Listen To My Favorite CDs
All time favorite!
A very close second!
  Music is definitely a must!  It affects humans on a pretty deep emotional level; so if I'm trying to manipulate my own emotions, I'll pop in a CD, put on my headphones, and drown out the world for a while.  If I'm stressed, I try to listen to something happy, like Mumford and Sons, or one of my many movie soundtracks.  If I'm really anxious, I'll listen to one of my Josh Groban cds, because I find his music to be relaxing. 

4.
Puzzles
Specifically, crossword puzzles and Sudoku.  I don't know, there's just something about concentrating on solving a puzzle that helps me to relax.  It's probably because, unlike whatever is causing my stress and worry, it is actually possible for me to solve these puzzles!

5.
Prayer

I pray for peace.  I don't always get it, at least not at first.  But after a lot of angry, tearful, anxious, or pleading prayer time, I usually am so emotionally spent that I get to a place where I am calm enough to receive the peace that I think God was always trying to give me.


What about you?  What are your favorite ways to relax, de-stress, and combat anxiety?

1 comment:

  1. Puzzles would just make me more stressed out lol. But I'm so with you on music. What's odd is that some of the most calming songs for me are by Tupac - Dear Mama, So Many Tears, I Ain't Mad Atcha. Something about the lyricism and deep soulfulness of those, and the superb flow of Tupac, gets me every time. When the opening lines of those come on I feel my blood pressure drop.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say. Charitable, civil comments only, please!

Also, I am temporarily disabling anonymous commenting, due to a sudden flood of spambot comments on my site. Thanks for understanding!