Thursday, February 13, 2014

7 Quick Takes About A Selfie Fail, Books vs Movies, Job Searching, and More - Vol. 15


Y'all, I am totally the master of the selfie *fail*!  Notice the sign taped to the bathroom mirror, because I could't even take a non-stupid pic while I was holding it.  (This was the least stupid of the bunch!)

Well, I took the plunge and bought a ticket to the Edel Gathering, put together by our lovely 7QT hostess Jen Fulwiler and the equally lovely Hallie Lord.  I am simultaneously excited and totally freaked out about going to this thing.  On the one hand, I'd adore the opportunity to relax (boy do I need it!) and meet a bunch of great women (and maybe even make some friends, which I would totally love).  On the other hand(s), I'm not a mother, so I'm expecting it to be kind of awkward when people ask me about my kids.  Also, I'm so totally IN(F/T)P, I am a little worried that my introvert nature will kick in and I'll end up sitting in a corner, smilingly watching everyone else enjoy themselves while petrified of the thought of talking to a **gasp** STRANGER!

Do me a favor and pray for me, so that I don't chicken out.  :P


Speaking of being full of fail, let's talk movie adaptations of books.  Recently, I was rereading the Harry Potter series of books, and since I was on Order of the Phoenix, I decided to re-watch the corresponding movie.  Can I just say: BLAARGHH.  The books are so good, and the movies sooooo don't live up to the books.

Look, I know that movie adaptations can't mirror books exactly.  Some things in books just don't translate onto screen, plus, the movie version of Order of the Phoenix alone would be 80 billion hours long.  But.  BUT!  Can't the movie resemble the book in more than just the title?!  It seems to me that the Harry Potter films are some of the worst I've seen at taking creative license with the screenwriting.  LOTR movie adaptions were much better done, IMO, even with all they left out (EXCEPT how they screwed with Faramir.  That was NOT COOL!).

What do you think about book-to-film adaptations?  Love them, hate them, couldn't care less?  What's your favorite?

Job-searching sucks.  Especially the part where potential employers don't call you for an interview.

(I'm very grateful that I at least have the luxury of looking for another job while I'm still employed, but still.....)

I know the superbowl commercials are old news by now, but I just had to share my favorite one:



Okay, another video.  Rebecca shared this on her blog yesterday, and it was so beautiful it made me cry, so I had to share it here too:



Oh yeah!  It's St. Valentine's day, isn't it!  My sweetie's taking me out for pizza and dessert (free with a coupon!), and then it's back home for a rousing game of Scrabble: St. Valentine edition (which just means the husband has to be extra sweet to me as he soundly crushes me with his mad-scrabble-skills).

Nothing but the ultra glamorous high-life for us, is all I'm sayin'.

And to end on a high note, pray St. Brigid's prayer with me!
I'd like to give a lake of beer to God.
I'd love the Heavenly
Host to be tippling there
For all eternity.
I'd love the men of Heaven to live with me,
To dance and sing.
If they wanted, I'd put at their disposal
Vats of suffering.
White cups of love I'd give them
With a heart and a half;
Sweet pitchers of mercy I'd offer
To every man.
I'd make Heaven a cheerful spot
Because the happy heart is true.
I'd make the men contented for their own sake
I'd like Jesus to love me too.
I'd like the people of Heaven to gather
From all the parishes around,
I'd give a special welcome to the women,
The three Marys of great renown.
I'd sit with the men, the women of God
There by the lake of beer.
We'd be drinking good health forever
And every drop would be a prayer.
Now go grab a pint and start your weekend off right!

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

6 comments:

  1. I am so excited that you're coming! We're going to have such a great time. I know of quite a few other people who are flying solo and/or who don't have kids, so don't worry about any of that at all. Also, it's a relatively small group, so I think you'll have plenty of chances to get to know folks. Can't wait to meet in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Edel Gathering sounds like it will be so much fun. Good for you, buying a ticket despite your fears.
    We have a rule in our house that the kids have to read the book before they see the movie version. It was great when we would read books aloud then watch together, like Charlotte's Web and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Unfortunately, the epic-length novels that are popular now just can't be put into movie form without losing a lot of the book's detail. The books are always better, but we'll still watch the movies.
    Have fun tonight! There's nothing wrong with dinner and Scrabble!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to go to the Edel gathering and I'm 18, unmarried, and have no children :) have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I know, right? I'm married but no kids, and it looks like a blast! So sad I'm unable to go. It seems I would have some childless company.

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh! I am so excited that you are coming! We are going to have a ball. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, so I have to disagree with you about the Harry Potter movies - at least for the last 3. I thought that the film version of Half Blood Prince was one of the best book to film versions I've seen. The films took awhile to hit their stride, but once they did it was fantastic. Also, yay for INF/TP!! Here's to being perpetually socially-awkward and over-thinking everything. And - thanks for the comment on the creation/evolution thing. That's so awesome that you were a biology major! Did you have a specialty?

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say. Charitable, civil comments only, please!

Also, I am temporarily disabling anonymous commenting, due to a sudden flood of spambot comments on my site. Thanks for understanding!