Thursday, October 17, 2013

7 Quick Takes - Vol. 11



Wow!  It's been a month since the last time I participated in the Quick Takes carnival.  It does't seem that long, but then a lot has happened since then.  I went to the ER a couple of weeks ago because my heart was racing, and it seems I have hyperthyroidism.  More than likely I have Graves' disease, which is an auto-immune disease that causes over-active thyroid.

Now, I'm not saying I'm glad I have this condition, because I'm not.  I'm not looking forward to being a daily medicine taker for the rest of my life, for one thing.  But, I am very happy to know that the tremors, racing heart, heat intolerance, and panic-attacks all have an actual cause (read: NOT hypochondria), and it's fairly easy to treat.  Ain't medical science grand?

That smile?  Soooo not how I was really feeling.  I was one sick girlie.
I've always loved the idea of a home library.  My ideal home library
would be huge (picture that badass library in Beauty and the Beast), full of dark woods, rich reds and greens, and at least one cozy little nook to curl up and read in.  This site has 50 pictures of some pretty incredible libraries, and now I'm all inspired for how to decorate my own little library.  Here's a sample from the article:
50 Super ideas for your home library
I LOVE THIS CHAIR!!!!!
One of the things I've always wanted for my own home library is a really good chair.  What traits do I consider necessary in a really good chair?  Three things: comfortable (for long reading stints), pretty (because who wants ugly chairs, right?), and cheap (because I'm cheap).

Well, God must have been feeling sorry for me because of the whole hyperthyroid thing, because BAM!  There they were at a garage sale.  Two perfect library chairs, which I barely got before another lady who wanted them.  And the 2 of them together only cost me about 1/2 of what 1 of them would cost brand new.  Yay for cheapness!  And for being one step closer to finishing my library!
Now all I need is a dream ottoman to match my dream chair.
I've also made a couple of trips to the Fried Food Capital of the Universe.  That's right, I'm talking about the great State Fair of Texas!  So much fun, and so very much grease to ingest.  If you ever get a chance to come to Texas in the first half of October, make sure you check it out, because it's one of the biggest state fairs in the country.
Big Tex is back at the State Fair of Texas in Dallas!
Howdy, folks!  This is Big Tex!
One of the best shows at the State Fair is the Birds of the World show.  This year is their 25th anniversary of doing the show at the fair (and I've seen them at least once a year for the last 10).  And they are LEAVING!!  Auughh, I actually cried a little when I heard the news.  (I know that sounds weird.  And you're right, it is a little weird.  I'm okay with that.)

These guys put on an entertaining and educational show.  The fair won't be the same without them, but at least they will be doing permanent shows at some zoos around the country.  Here's their website if you want to see what they're all about (just a little example, they've raised over $1 million for animal conservation programs just through donations they got at the State Fair).

I read a lot.  I have no idea how many books I've read in my life.  I have a really large vocabulary to match.  So why does my husband almost always beat me at Scrabble?!  He's not a fan of reading for fun.  His vocab definitely isn't as broad as mine, yet he wins the majority of the time.  I'm starting to think strategy (his strong suit, certainly not mine) is more important than vocabulary, despite the fact that it's a WORD GAME!

I've finally given in and joined Pinterest.  I resisted as long as I could.  The last thing I needed was another time blackhole in my life.  But the pretty pictures.  And the neat ideas.  And the cute memes.  It was just to much for me to resist any longer.  Here's my Pinterest site, come and follow me, if you're interested.

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Found you through 7QT
    Good luck on your library! And I certainly agree with you about Scrabble! I started playing Words With Friends (App) and learned quickly that the double and triple squares matter much more than than the actual words you have!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll second that about Scrabble and Words with Friends too; my husband is a genius when it comes to strategy, which is really more important for these games. At least that's what I tell my ego. Sorry to hear that you've been so sick - I hope you're feeling better now with the help of medication!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say. Charitable, civil comments only, please!

Also, I am temporarily disabling anonymous commenting, due to a sudden flood of spambot comments on my site. Thanks for understanding!