Thursday, September 5, 2013

7 Quick Takes - Vol. 9


I changed my blog background.  Do you like it?  I decided I wanted something a little more personal and pertinent than the generic picture that came with the template, soooooo I took a picture of my bookshelf and used that.  Ta da!  If your eyesight is good enough to read the titles, you will be privy to some of the actual books in my library.  See any of your favorites on there?


TODAY!!!
 Today is my sister's due date, with her very first bebe.  That little boy needs to get a move on, because seriously, his Aunt Casey needs to kiss his chubby-baby cheeks (and I suppose because his mama is ready to not be pregnant anymore).  Here's hoping he comes sooner rather than later.  Also, if you have a spare moment, I'd appreciate your prayers for a quick, healthy, preferably-intervention-free labor and delivery for my sis.  Thanks!

For those few (if any) of you who haven't heard about the fundraising campaign for the owner of this blog, here's the lowdown.  This lady is the mother of 11 kids, and for the last 6 years she's been raising them by herself, because her unbelievable ex-husband not only refuses to pay child support, but he actively tries to make it difficult-to-impossible for her to get the resources she needs to feed/clothe/shelter her kids.  She's trying to go to nursing school.  This will give her a good career that will enable her to provide them all with some much-needed financial security, but she needs some help with her living expenses for the first year.  Please keep her in your prayers, and if you're interested in donating to a good cause here is the link to her indiegogo fundraising site.  She's getting close to her goal, so let's see if we can help her reach it!

Have I ever mentioned that I love musicals?  No?  Well, let me remedy that:  I love musicals!  I grew up watching all the classics from the '50s and '60s over and over and over again.  Honestly, my husband gave me the soundtrack to The Sound of Music for my birthday a couple of years ago, and I was giddy.  And unfortunately for him, he got to hear the songs over and over and over again!

Whenever I need a little pick-me-up to make me smile, I watch a video from The Sound of Music, Singin' in the Rain, White Christmas, and the like.  Here are a few of my favorites, which I've been known to jam to while washing dishes:


And if Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is more your style, I've also been know to sing and dance in our living room to these gems:


Keeping on the theme of music videos, let me round off these quick takes with my Most Favoritest Band Of All Time:  Mumford and Sons.

First, the lyrics to one of my favorite songs from their newest album, Babel.  It's just so beautiful and poignant, and I love the simple guitar-only acoustic style they sing it in.

"Reminder"
Don't let me darken your door
That's not what I came here for
No, it's not what I came here for

And I won't hear you cry when I'm gone
I won't know if I'm doing you wrong
I never know if I'm doing you wrong

A constant reminder of where I can find her
A light that might give up the way
Is all that I'm asking for
Without her I'm lost
Oh my love don't fade away

So watch the world tear us apart
A stoic mind and a bleeding heart
You never see my bleeding heart

And your light's always shining on
And I've been traveling oh so long
I've been traveling oh so long

A constant reminder of where I can find her
A light that might give up the way
Is all that I'm asking for
Without her I'm lost
Oh my love don't fade away
Oh my love don't fade away

And last but not least, a video of a studio session recording of "Reminder".


Have a great weekend!
For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

5 comments:

  1. First of all I love all those musicals, esp. 7 brides for 7 brothers...and how does one not love Mumford and Sons?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love musicals - 7 Brides for 7 Brothers is one of my favorites. The Man was like "what the heck???" the first time he watched it with me. Now he just leaves the room - it's kinda funny b/c generally speaking he know loves musicals, but he can't take that one - ha!

    Oh wow, those lyrics. I love Mumford and Sons more each day I think!

    I LOVE the new background - especially that it's a photo you took. Now to get my magnifying glass out and stalk your book shelves :).

    Last, but certainly not least, prayers for your sister and nephew!!! So exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your background a lot, you have a lot of books!! Hope you get to meet your nephew really soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Babel! We were camping in the Smokies this weekend so I am terribly upset that they were in our area and I didn't get to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you ever seen the musical Brigadoon? It's set in Scotland and is just delicious. Though not as good as My Fair Lady, which is the best musical in the world.

    When I was in high school my (now husband) and I were in musical theatre, which was so much fun. Don't forget to support the theatre locally too!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say. Charitable, civil comments only, please!

Also, I am temporarily disabling anonymous commenting, due to a sudden flood of spambot comments on my site. Thanks for understanding!