Thursday, August 29, 2013

Seven Quick Takes - Vol. 8


In this post last week, I discussed some of the good and the bad of my introversion/shyness.  Rebecca left a lovely comment on the post about the 4 Temperaments, which I found very helpful.  I looked up a 4 Temperaments test online and took it, and, surprise surprise, I'm a Melancholic!


The thing that really that I found helpful about the test was the very comprehensive explanation of your Temperament that it provided afterward.  It tells you the fundamental disposition, the peculiarities, the bright and dark sides, and the effective methods of self-training for the temperament type.  What I found especially useful was that it highlights the types of sinful behavior your temperament is particularly vulnerable to, and how to avoid it.  That's SUCH a big help for me.  It was also nice to have the positive aspects of my temperament pointed out to me (being Melancholic, I do have a hard time identifying that for myself).  I highly suggest you go here to take the test and discover what temperament you are.  Or, if you already know your temperament and just want to read the description, go here (this will take you to the Melancholic page; scroll down to the bottom for the links to the other types).

Have you seen the TV series "Firefly", which aired for half a season in 2002?  We've owned the boxed set of all 13 episodes for 7+ years (because we saw the movie Serenity in theatres in 2005 and liked it enough to buy the background series) but we just sat down to watch it for the first time these last couple of weeks.  OH MY GOSH WHY DID THE STUPID FOX NETWORK CANCEL THIS SHOW??!!!!  I enjoyed it so much and I can't believe they only made 13 episodes and now I can't watch anymore of it (and I can't believe I'm just now watching a show that died over a decade ago!).  Not cool, Fox, totally not cool.
    

Wanna hear something weird about me?  I save the tissue paper from every present I get (and from the presents other people get too, if I can snitch it before it gets thrown away).  I fold that tissue paper up and use it over for other presents.  Seriously, I have a big ole box FULL of tissue paper.  Do you know why?  Because I'm CHEAP and I don't want to buy new if the old is still perfectly intact and usable (I don't save it if it's all torn up).  I suppose it's also recycling, and that's a nice side benefit.

James and I pray together every evening before bed.  We've done this for the last 7 or so years.  We started out saying the Rosary together, threw in the Divine Mercy chaplet for a while, tried the Liturgy of the Hours for a little, and currently we're reading the daily readings together and then prayer a few prayers over our personal intentions.  If you're married/dating, do you pray together?  What prayers to you pray?

I heard this on the news a couple weeks ago.  Apparently, this guy redrew the US map to create 50 new "states" that would have equal populations (6.2 million people each), as an example of how to fix the Electoral College problem.  Interesting solution, isn't it?  Check out the size of those western states!!
 
If you aren't listening to Fr. John Riccardo, you should be.  Do yourself a favor and follow this link to the page of his podcasts, and then listen to them all, because seriously, SO GOOD!  He is theologically on target, delivers his message simply and directly, and, if you're anything like me, will have you crying over how much Jesus loves you.  Go listen now.  Go.

I've mentioned before how very much I love the State Fair of Texas.  It's almost time!!!  And this weekend, they will be deciding the best new fried foods of the year, to be debuted at this year's fair.  Go check out these beauties.  They all sound delicious and I plan on trying them all (which I can't say every year)!  I mean come on, fried meatloaf?!  You're talking my language!


For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

12 comments:

  1. Good news: they might bring Firefly back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, in game form anyway: http://www.blastr.com/2013-7-18/fireflys-coming-back-life-and-time-you-can-live-it

      Delete
    2. Awesome news! Thanks for letting me know!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE Firefly! It was a great show, and it's really too bad it got canceled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firefly is THE BEST SHOW EVER. My husband had to ring my arm before I would watch it, because - cowboys in space? What? Actually I prefer the show to the movie, because they had the presumption to kill off the best character (you know who I mean) before we had his back story. I don't know about you, but I'm dying to know what his connections were with the Alliance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cowboys in space was surprisingly better than I thought it would be! I'm not a big western fan, but it really worked. I also enjoyed the series better than the movie, because it was cozier, for lack of a better word.

      I was really upset by both characters who got killed! So crappy!

      Delete
  4. I LOVE Firefly. My husband watched it when it was on and introduced me to it when we were dating. I always wanted to know the Shepherd's back story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here you go, the Shepherd's backstory, courtesy of a comic book released in 2010:

      http://firefly.wikia.com/wiki/Serenity:_The_Shepherd's_Tale

      (caution, spoiler containing synopsis)

      Delete
  5. My husband and I usually pray an Our Father, Hail Mary and some petitions together before we go to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE Firefly. Also, the tissue paper thing is not weird at all (and I'm certainly not saying that just because I do the same thing ;) ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaaay, I'm not alone!! :) Thanks for making me feel a little less weird. Ha!

      Delete
  7. Firefly is the best. I found it the same way you did, by seeing Serenity. Fox is the dumbest ever!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say. Charitable, civil comments only, please!

Also, I am temporarily disabling anonymous commenting, due to a sudden flood of spambot comments on my site. Thanks for understanding!