Thursday, August 15, 2013

Seven Quick Takes - Vol. 7


I love me some thrift store shopping!  The thrill of the hunt for that perfect bargain balances out the frustration of searching through horribly disordered racks and shelves for something in my size and style.  Every so often, if you're really lucky, you come across a little gem like this, as I did when searching the men's section for jeans for the husband.
Because what lord of creation doesn't need "Constant Elevation" plastered across his ass?

Or how about this snazzy piece?  Neon yellow with gray striping.  Perfect for those nights when you feel like impersonating a TV with no horizontal hold.


Source





I saw this in Cracker Barrel.  I had to take a picture because BACON!  It might just be my new motto.




I tried boiled peanuts for the first time while on vacation this summer.  I think one word sums them up nicely:  BLECH!  I guess they are an acquired taste, because my uneducated palate just thought they tasted like mud.





How about a couple of links?  Here's one I enjoyed a lot earlier this week.  If you're not reading Steve Gershom's blog, you are seriously missing out.  He's funny, insightful and genuine.  And he's gay and Catholic and accepts the church's teachings.  Uncommon combo, right?  Also, he just revealed his real name last Friday, and it turns out he's related to another well-known Catholic blogger.  Go read to find out who, and browse his archives while you're there.


Another link:  the "How We Met" linkup over at Camp Patton.  Head on over to find over 100 links to all kinds of wonderful relationship origin stories.  I'm kind of inspired to write up James' and my "how we met" story and join in the link-up fun.  We shall see....


Last but not least, I've been rereading my Louisa May Alcott collection.  I had forgotten how simple, sweet, lovely and wholesome these stories are!  Oh, it makes me wish so badly for children of my own to share these beautiful tales with!  My (current) favorite is either Little Women or An Old-Fashioned Girl.  I can't decide which.  Have you read any of her novels?  Which was your favorite? 


For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

10 comments:

  1. We read all of them growing up! My mom was big on reading out loud to us. Despite living in NC for 15 years, I have never had boiled peanuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of reading out loud to kids. Heck, I guess I still like being read to, which must be why I enjoy audiobooks so much!

      Delete
  2. Your thrift store finds are awesome!

    My husband loves boiled peanuts. He has a great childhood memory of stopping at some road side stand down South and buying a bag. He hasn't made them in a while though. If I knew what a rubber peanut tasted like, I'd say they're pretty close...yeah, I'm not a fan of boiled peanuts.
    Suscipio4women
    3-2-1 Party

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thrift store is so fun, isn't it?

      Yeah, rubber peanuts that taste a little like dirt. Yuck!

      Delete
  3. Little Men is my favorite Alcott book; and I don't like boiled peanuts either

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished rereading Little Men, and now I'm on to Jo's boys. It's been so long, I don't even remember how it ends, so I'm looking forward to it.

      Delete
  4. As a kid, I definitely favored *Under the Lilac Bush* (which was also my introduction to the story of Bluebeard).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever read that one, so I may have to look it up. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Haha! That bacon mug is perfect! And I'm not sure if I've ever even heard of boiled peanuts. I know I haven't tried any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is perfect, isn't it?! It may have to go on my Christmas list.

      I'm pretty sure you'd know if you've ever had boiled peanuts. They taste unlike any peanut I've ever had, and not in a good way.

      Delete

I would love to hear what you have to say. Charitable, civil comments only, please!

Also, I am temporarily disabling anonymous commenting, due to a sudden flood of spambot comments on my site. Thanks for understanding!