Thursday, August 1, 2013

7 Quick Takes - Vol. 5

*If you have followed a link here from Facebook, please click the "Home" tab at the top of the page to take you to the most up-to-date homepage, then scroll down to read more recent posts.  Thanks!*






In a post earlier this week, I shared that I am combatting negative thoughts that I think about myself.  I am learning to love myself a little better, and I'm doing so by finding and sharing one thing about myself that I like or love every week.

I know that negative self-thinking is probably far more wide-spread than I realize, so consider yourself invited to join me in acknowledging your lovely, lovable qualities every Wednesday.  If you have a blog and decide to share your lovely qualities with the blog-o-sphere in a post, please come share the link to the post in my combox so we can all go read about what makes you lovable!

I've been rereading Pride and Prejudice lately, as well as reading a few other Jane Austen novels for the first time, specifically Emma and Mansfield Park.  I love how witty the dialogue is, and I really love the sweetness of the romances.

But I have discovered something else...
 the 18th and 19th century social "caste" system in Britain drives me nuts!!!  Half the time I'm yelling at the book in my head, telling the main characters to get off their high horses and stop thinking that they are actually superior to other people just because they have money and are part of the gentry.  I mean, wow, am I glad I live now and not back then, because that thinking is so degrading!  Jeeze!  (mini-rant over)

I have been asked to put together a tour of the church for the RCIA program at our church.  I'm excited about getting to teach and share, especially since I know I will likely learn a lot in the process, and I love learning!  Tell me, if you were going on a tour of a Catholic church, what would you want to know?  I mean, is there anything specific that you don't know what it's called, don't understand what it's for, or don't know why we do?  Please share any suggestions and help me make sure I don't overlook anything on the tour!

Josh Groban's song "February Song" from his album Awake.  I love this song a lot, it is so poignant.  I was listening to it on Thursday, and I had one of those "Aha!" moments, where I realized that the lyrics could definitely be me singing to God, when I going through a struggling period.  Check it out for yourself and see what you think.


When I sit in my office working on the computer, my cat always comes in here and sits with me.  He lays himself out on the floor between me and the door to the room.  He could be trying to be annoying by making me step over him every time I want to leave the room, but I like to think he's on guard, watching out for bad guys.  "You do you're work; I've got your back."  Good kitty!

Oh. My. Goodness!  It's only 2 months to the State Fair of Texas!!  (for those of you who know me well, this undoubtedly sounds familiar, as you hear it every single year.  Yay anyway!)


I'm so excited, I'm getting a little verklempt!  (and if this doesn't date me, I don't know what does)


For anyone that may remember me mentioning that being sick, just so you know, I'm feeling a lot better.  The bronchitis is clearing up nicely (finally!) so thanks for your prayers.

For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

1 comment:

  1. RE: #3: The first time I was ever in a Catholic church was in college for a funeral. I was raised as a Protestant, so a few things that confused me were the statues, the Stations of the Cross, candle stands and grottoes or small chapels aside from the main church sanctuary. I think your idea to incorporate those elements into your tour is great! I became Orthodox several years ago and our church architecture and iconography is a very important representation of what we believe. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say. Charitable, civil comments only, please!

Also, I am temporarily disabling anonymous commenting, due to a sudden flood of spambot comments on my site. Thanks for understanding!