Friday, July 26, 2013

7 in 7 - Day 5: 7 Quick Takes - Vol. 4

I've been participating in Jen's 7-Posts-in-7-Days blogging challenge.  I've discovered a couple of things.
     1.  Blogging every day is HARD.  I guess my writing muscles are weak and flabby or something, because  it is a real challenge for me to come up with the words to say every day.  Especially when I'm drained after a day of work and an hour+ commute home.
     2.  I like writing, and I think I'll keep it up.

My husband and I went on vacation with my parents at the beginning of July for a whole week.  We drove a loop through Memphis, Chattanooga, Charleston, Birmingham, and back to Texas.  We rode a train, walked through downtown historic Charleston, visited a monastery and a plantation, and went fishing in the Atlantic.  It was a lot of fun!  And it rained on us for two days straight!  And I got a cold that developed into bronchitis half-way through the trip, and which I'm still suffering from now!  FUN!!!


And because I know you want to see them (right?), a mini-vacation photo dump:
James on the train we took from Chattanooga

So. Much. Rain.  Us outside of Ruby Falls, which we could see because it was flooded.

A view of downtown Charleston from the Old Exchange Building.  So Pretty!

Me, stylin' in my new hat in front of the Cooper River (I think).

Chapel at Mepkin Abbey.

Boone Hall Plantation, outside Charleston.

Me and my dad, fishing in the Atlantic, off Folly Beach pier.

The Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament at Our Lady of the Angels Monastery.
Last weekend, I hosted a baby shower for my sister, who is pregnant with her first child.  It was a lot of work, but it turned out great, and everyone had a wonderful time.  My fantastic, artistic husband made the cake and the baby-cake-topper for the shower, because he's just that darn talented!
It's a whale!!  And that's baby, going for a ride.

So cute!!!

Like I said above, I got sick during vacation.  I was sick during the baby shower.  I'm still sick.  I'm getting better, I think, but it is going very slooooowly.  When I get bronchitis, the cough lasts a long time, and it make my chest and my whole upper body hurt.  And then I get anxious because I feel bad, and that's just what how I react, apparently.  If you have a spare moment, say a little prayer for me to get over this quickly, please.

I've been listening to C. S. Lewis' Space Trilogy (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength).  They are interesting.  I've always liked sci-fi, but I'm not sure what I make of these books.  I've only made it halfway through the 2nd one so far, and I'm still trying to decide if I like them.

What are you reading right now, and what do you think of it?

And because it's Friday, a little humor to start the weekend off right.
someecards.com - Eating a salad at your desk is the only thing more depressing than work itself.
For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

4 comments:

  1. I am reading Howl's Moving Castle, which I love so far. I have seen the movie before, but the book is more fairy-tale like.
    Lewis' Space Trilogy tokk me 2 or 3 times to get into. It is very good, thought provoking, and in places ,downright scary (I can't read parts of the 3rd book at night)! But I am not sure how listening to it would work. Hmmmmm.
    Praying for your health. I have been sick a lot this year, and I am SO over it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard of Howl's Moving Castle, either the movie or the book. May have to look that one up.

      Listening to the books isn't too bad. I'm pretty used to it by now. But when a book is really dense, it can be hard to absorb it all and be a little overwhelming. I will probably have to physically read the Space Trilogy at least once.

      I know you love LOTR. Try listening to the audiobooks if you haven't. They are WONDERFUL!

      Delete
  2. Looks like a fun vacation. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog, RAnn!

      It was a fun vacation, rain and all. And thanks for the well wishes, I'm definitely working on getting better.

      Delete

I would love to hear what you have to say. Charitable, civil comments only, please!

Also, I am temporarily disabling anonymous commenting, due to a sudden flood of spambot comments on my site. Thanks for understanding!