Wednesday, July 24, 2013

7 in 7 - Day 3: Restless

I feel restless, and I'm having a hard time pinning down what the restlessness is due to.  All I know is that something is missing.  Or maybe, several somethings are missing; I'm not sure.

Something is missing, or I'm not doing something I should be doing.  I can think of lots of things that fit this bill:


  • not concentrating enough on my relationship with God (this is a big one and probably the main thing)
  • no children to love and raise
  • un-satisfying job
  • not putting my talents/abilities to their best use
  • not serving and loving my neighbor on a regular, conscious basis
I'm sure there's other stuff, these are just the first things to come to mind.  The problem is, I just feel like I'm spinning my wheels, trying to figure out what it is I'm SUPPOSED-TO-DO.  Is there a SUPPOSED-TO-DO thing for me?  If I just concentrate on improving my relationship with God and loving Him as I'm know I should, will the other stuff fall into place, or will He give me some clue as to a direction to go in (because so far, either He's been keeping silent or I'm to oblivious to be able to hear what He's saying).

I just don't know.  I hate this feeling.

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes I feel the restlessness within us is telling us we should be doing something different or more. So it could be the Holy Spirit telling us to change and do something else. He never really makes it easy by telling us exactly what God's plan is for us. However, on the other hand it could be the devil working on us to ruin the good thing God has given us by making us continually look for something else to do. The real test is can we tell the difference between the two catalytic events?

    I once spoke to a priest about how can I tell if it is me or God wanting this new thing in my life. He said "When you are doing this activity does it truly bring you happiness and peace? Are all the doubts and fears removed?" Now don't get this wrong it does mean happiness of the material world but of the spiritual world.

    Anyway, I have gone on long enough. Keep up the good work.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that is part of the frustration: not being able to tell if the restlessness is the prompting of the Holy Spirit or of the devil. I tend to think of the Holy Spirit, just because I feel as though at least part of it is an encouragement to grow in my relationship with God.

      Miss you here in Texas, lady!

      Delete
  2. Oh, Casey! Some day we really do need to get together and talk. We face so many of the same things.
    This has been a real struggle of mine for years and years. Ugh.
    Oh man - the exact same thing.
    Reading Blessed Mother Teresa and St. Terese the Little Flower have helped me a great deal over the past year, but that may be the way God is leading me.
    Is it Divine Longing? Divine Discontent? Or restlessness not from Him?
    Is He trying to lead you to something new? Or is He wanting you to loosed your hold on all things but Him?
    Through my searchings, I have had to come to a certain measure of peace that this is part of who I am - I am never going to be a "happy" person (if that makes sense), and I think I will always struggle with this feeling of wondering. I am learning to pray prayers of abandonment when this comes on me - not knowing where I should go, what I should do, what I am missing, why I am left feeling to small and useless.

    Some day we need to get together and talk.

    My prayers are with you.

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tine, we totally need to get together for lunch. A talk would be nice.

      I like the praying prayers of abandonment idea. I need to try to remember to do that and hope that it helps me find some peace and maybe some direction.

      Delete

I would love to hear what you have to say. Charitable, civil comments only, please!

Also, I am temporarily disabling anonymous commenting, due to a sudden flood of spambot comments on my site. Thanks for understanding!