Monday, July 22, 2013

7 in 7 - Day 1: Finding My Voice

I love to read.  Oh man, do I ever love to read!  Books, articles, blogs: whatever I can get my hands on.  And after a lifetime of being a reading nut, I can definitely say that one of the most important components of a good read (for me, at least) is the voice of author.
Behold my personal stash


Different kinds of writing demand a different kind of voice, but the common denominator no matter the genre is the ability to be engaging.  Is my attention caught by something unique, funny, cute, thought-provoking, or heart-breaking?  Can I relate to something in the story or empathize with the story-teller?  Is the writing unique enough to be identifiable and unforgettable?

This is what I aim for when writing on this blog.  I aim for you to be able to answer yes to at least one of those questions so that you'll be interested in coming back and reading some more.  Because let's admit it, even though I am blogging for myself, to help myself along in my spiritual growth, I am also blogging for you.  If I didn't want people to read what I'm sharing, then I would write in a paper journal and keep it shoved in between my socks where no one can see it.

The thing is, I have a sneaking suspicion that I am boring.  Pedantic.  Stilted.  Awkward.  Unrelate-able.  (And apparently, infatuated with adjectives.)  The things I think are interesting, other people don't.  And this is not just a writing issue.  It's a me-issue.  I think I come across this way, even when I'm just talking to people; and so of course, it probably translates into the way I write at well.

So I guess I need to work on finding my voice and making it engaging enough that people want come back and read more, and even better, to engage me in return.  Discussing is so much more fun than just talking to myself.  If you have any suggestions on how I can improve, feel free to leave a message or email me and let me know.

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE getting to read your blog. Although we are family, I feel like this allows me to get to know you in a new, unique way that does not happen at holidays!
    I like your voice, but as your write, you will refine it more and more.
    And I could not agree more about the books. Our house is full of them - everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tine! I'm glad you enjoy reading here and getting a better idea of how I tick. I enjoy reading your blog too, and for the same reason!

      I have definitely learned that refining my voice, be it in writing or teaching, takes practice practice practice, so that's my plan.

      Books are great, aren't they! They're like good friends. They pick you up when you're down, they inspire you, they're reliable, and they never get old!

      Delete
  2. I also am family, but that is not why I read your blog. I read it because I enjoy it. And I've learned to know you better by reading it. I also love books of all kinds. They keep you company when you are alone, or exhausted, or blue, or when you are happy. Keep blogging and I will keep reading. Aunt Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet, Aunt Pat, thank you! Because of my shyness, I know I can be difficult to get to know in person, so I'm glad this is a way to get to know me better. And you are so right about books!

      Delete
  3. I too love books! I learn so much from them. I explore the world, philosophical thoughts, and myself through them. They are a joy and a way to work through my issues (or avoid them). It depends on the day.

    I enjoy reading your posts. You need to keep them going. You have so much intelligence and wisdom to share with us all. Thanks!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! Books are definitely a treasure. I'm glad you enjoy my posts; I do plan to keep writing, for a while anyway.

      Delete
  4. Yes, your comments are engaging, No, they are not boring, nor are you, in person. I, too, am a life-long reader, and always dreamed in my younger years, at least, of being a writer -(another dream put aside). Your use of words is crisp and to the point. So, thanks. You keep writing and I will keep reading them. Auntie am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're enjoying the blog posts, Aunt Marie. I've always been far more interested in reading than writing, but I have to say, I do enjoy the writing quite a bit, now that I've started.

      Delete

I would love to hear what you have to say. Charitable, civil comments only, please!

Also, I am temporarily disabling anonymous commenting, due to a sudden flood of spambot comments on my site. Thanks for understanding!